Monday, October 09, 2006

Sometimes a DVD is just a DVD...

Being on my own here, I've been finding I have a bit of free time on my hands. Expecting this, I packed about two-dozen DVD of movies and TV series that I enjoyed back home. One of these is the movie Se7en, arguably one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen and one of my top 10 thrillers.

And no, I won't go into my Desert Island Movies, okay.

One of the things I look forward to are the extras on the discs. I just LOVE them! I watch all the deleted scenes and turn on the commentaries and watch the entire movie again. To me, the commentaries add to my enjoyment by increasing the understanding of what's behind the movie.

So hearing the director, David Fincher, and especially the writer, Andrew Kevin Walker, discuss Se7en while watching the film made it even more incredible. If you liked the film as much as I do, things to consider:

There is no explicit violence in the film - it's all implied. Yet many people claim there was because it was directed to make you complete the acts in your mind.

Writer Walker wrote the movie while living in New York City - a city he hated. He wrote Se7en as a gift to NYC for the misery it made him feel. Walker is from Mechanicsburg, PA. He also is the first dead body you see in the movie.

The Brad Pitt character, "David Mills", was originally screenwritten for Denzel Washington.

Kevin Spacey was an outside shot for serial killer "John Doe": he was too expensive. Only when the studio relented and increased the budget was he able to be signed.

"The head in the box" ending was the original screen write of the movie but almost didn't make it. Only intense lobbying of the producer by Walker, Pitt, and Morgan Freeman stopped the ending from being written having Mills crash in to save his wife (played by Gwenyth Paltrow) from Doe, killing Doe in the process.

Of course, sometimes it doesn't pay to read too much into all this. On an episode of The Simpsons I just saw, "Apu" meets up with a cartoon version of Butch Patrick who played "Eddie Munster" and asks him, "If your father was a Frankenstein and your mother was a vampire, why were you a werewolf?"

Good question. Guess sometimes you can just plain over-analyze anything.

- Farmer Ted

1 comment:

Favorite Aunt said...

Once again you've hit home why we have so much in common! I too love watching the bonus features that comes with a DVD. Seven was one of my favorite movies too! Why I don't have it on DVD I'll never know. Especially since they recently re-released it as a special edition.