Monday, July 30, 2007

Epitaph to a friendship...

I had to bury a friendship today.

Guess we all have friends who are concerned with ISSUES. I had one who I respected very much for their convictions and admired them for it. Yet we had a very nice relationship as friends. Their warmth and generosity of spirit was something I valued highly.

And yet friendship took a back seat when I ran afoul of their views on an ISSUE. Despite an effort to steer it back to what we had in common it was instead dashed on the rocks by fanatical zeal on an ISSUE and rather shockingly vitriolic diatribes showing a disappointing disregard for the person it was directed toward.

In this case, me.

How disconcerting to find out people you counted as friends have "yardsticks" that they use to measure the worth of the people they know. Little realizing that one day they will most likely be left, sitting alone and bitter, chewing their principles with toothless gums, calling everyone else a**holes. Never really knowing that it's all about how you touch and connect with people for all their needs and despite what you might see as failings that truly define a friend. And makes you worthy of being a friend yourself. Much like in the song "I Am One" by Chrisette Michele.

So I write this epitaph to a friendship. And I wish them peace. And wish them joy. And above all understanding.

- Farmer Ted

No comments: