Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Just being social...

Your Farmer Ted sucks at social networking on the internet. To me, it's one of those "big things" that will go the way of others like Internet Relay Chat (anyone remember using IRC?). But not only has it been identified as one of the top 10 IT disruptive technologies but it seems like everyone I know says incredulously "YOU don't have a Facebook page?" with that look on their faces as if they smelled a faintly unsavory odor.

Well godammit I don't have any of 'em. Never will. Your Farmer is very leery about flapping his bonafides in the internet breeze for all to see. And that definitely goes for LinkedIn and the same for My Space.

I was speaking to a female acquaintance the other day about my reticence prompting her to comment, "Don't worry about it, go on and join one!" Sensing my confusion, she continued, "That way, when your old classmates link as friends you can have a look to see how bad they look as they've grow older." Finishing with,"Then, you can have a good laugh and just cut them off," and snapped her fingers.

Guess I've been looking at this thing all wrong.

- Farmer Ted

No comments: